Friday, April 13, 2012

"Vintage" Gucci

Sigh...this blue velvet Gucci blazer! It's from the Fall 2004 collection (picture on the far left is from style.com), the last one designed by Tom Ford. I've had it for nearly 8 years, waiting for its debut. I just couldn't bring myself to put it on and risk getting my sweat or food on it. But I don't have it in my heart to sell it or give it away. I had anticipated its arrival for weeks and even placed an order with my Saks sales associate at that time. When I finally learned of its arrival, I hurried to the store to breathe it in. I bought it on the spot. The price tag was $1990, a bargain compared to a comparable designer runway piece being sold at Saks today. It was a lot of money to me at the time (it still is today). I had no business spending that much money on a month's worth of clothes, let alone on one single piece...but I'm glad I did then (although I wouldn't do it today, even with a salary that's double the size of the the one I had in 2004).
Honestly, Gucci just hasn't been the same since Tom Ford left. I do love their classic handbags, but as far as clothing goes, I just don't think they measure up to the glory days of Tom Ford. Love him or hate him, he created a buzz for the fashion house that will never be matched. I thought of this today, as I was thumbing through my copy of the May 2012 issue of Vanity Fair. In their photo spread of their 2012 Oscar party, I came across the photo on the right. Tom Ford himself is wearing a blue velvet blazer, not too different from the one I own.
What do you think? Is this blazer too precious to wear? Or does it deserve a night out on the town?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blogs and never had the heart to comment! That piece should be worn on a very special day for the color is amazing and it's Tom Ford! :)

Drama Queen said...

Thank you for reading! Tom Ford-the combo of those 2 names...sigh! I will definitely look into picking up some pieces to go perfectly with the blazer. I got inspired by a photo of a model in the blazer with a blue Marc by Marc Jacobs dress. It just looks so cool!