Monday, March 7, 2011

The Drama Queen Travels...to Hawaii

Besides drama and shoes, the Drama Queen loves to travel. I got to travel again, this time to Hawaii. The reason was for my mother's 70th birthday. She didn't want a party celebrating her entrance into her 8th decade of life, so she decided that she wanted the family to vacation in Hawaii instead. I haven't been there since I was a little girl, so I was due for another visit. This time, thanks to my awesome younger sister, I got to stay with her at the breathtaking Hilton Hawaiian Village, in the very popular Waikiki area of Honolulu. We were able to get a room in the Rainbow Tower, which overlooks the beach. Check out the view from our room!


As I like to engage in local culture on every trip, a luau was in order. We went to one at our hotel, which consisted of dances from various parts of Polynesia. The finale dance consisted of 4 guys literally playing with fire!


Of course, for the Drama queen, no trip is complete without shopping. I visited the Ala Moana Center, home to shops of many high-end fashion houses, like Hermes, Gucci, and Dior. I looked for a pair of Christian Louboutins, as I've done on each trip during the last couple of years, but the only store that had them was Neiman Marcus, and I didn't see anything I really wanted.


I did, however, buy myself a new bag from Louis Vuitton, one of which was conveniently located on the grounds of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It holds a special meaning for me. You see, almost 3 years ago, my home was robbed. One of the items stolen from my home was a Louis Vuitton white multicolor pochette. It was one of the first items I bought when I started making money, a celebration item. One of the things I loved most about that bag was the soft red suedelike lining. A darling sales associate patiently showed me about 20 bags until I found the one I thought was right for me. I was pretty sure about it, but decided to wait on my decision to pull the trigger. I returned with my sister the next day, and the SA again showed me the bags. My sister, whose taste I trust dearly, wasn't feeling the bag I picked out the previous day. Then the SA brought out a bag he hadn't shown me, and she exclaimed that it was the right bag. I slung it over my shoulder and carried it around the store and decided she was right. And I looked inside and realized that it had that suedelike red lining (the one I originally wanted didn't). I thought about buying a replacement for my stolen white multicolor pochette, but the reality is that I'm no longer that 20-something carefree girl I was when I bought it. I had nights of clubbing and bar-hopping with it tucked under my arm back then. And now I'm a 30-something, and the clubbing/bar-hopping scene is no longer for me. I need a bag I can take to work and to a weekend luncheon with friends, and the pochette isn't one. So now, I'm the proud owner of a Saleya.


Did I bring home anything else? Of course! I bought a couple of pieces that truly reminded me of Hawaii. I bought a coral floral (heehee-that rhymes) tube dress. I know they may look little-girlish, but I've been wanting one for the last few years, and what better place to buy than Hawaii?! I also bought a gorgeous 1960s-ish white dress with ruffle trim. I'd never bought anything from a hotel clothing store, but I couldn't help thinking about how beautiful it was and that it was a piece I'd also been looking for for a while. It was just like that scene in the Madeleine Wickham book, Sleeping Arrangements, where the main character, Chloe, wanders into a little shop in Spain and just decided to plunk down some money on a dress that just made her feel so feminine and sexy. I tried on the white dress and was surprised at how much I loved how I look in it, despite it being short and me never wearing minis. I probably paid too much for it, but I knew that if I didn't take it home with me, I'd regret it later. And of course, the obligatory chocolates with macadamia nuts! A true Hawaiian souvenir, I bought a case of 6 boxes. I really shouldn't be eating sweets, but souvenirs just have to be an exception ;)

No comments: