Friday, February 18, 2011

Baby, It's Raining Outside...Come Inside, and Let's Get Nude!

Another cheesy title...oh, well. At least it perfectly describes today. LA's experiencing some rain this week. True to Angeleno-in-the-rain style, a drive that was supposed to take 25 minutes ended up taking 2 hours. People here just don't know how to drive in the rain. I nearly lost it as I was almost at my destination--inside my little car, I screamed to myself, "F*ck this! It's so not worth it!" and nearly turned around to go home. However, I'm not one to break promises, especially to my sister, with whom I had a shopping date at a consignment store tonight. I pulled myself together and made it to her house, albeit an hour and a half later than the time we were supposed to meet. She forgave me, so it was all good.

I tried on a See by Chloe dress, French size 40. It's supposed to be equivalent to a US 8, but honestly, it looked tiny. I tried it on, anyway. I pleasantly discovered that it actually fit! The zipper even went all the way up the side, and I was wearing a bulky sports bra (I didn't have any clean regular bras--I hang my head in shame as I admit this). I really do feel like I've lost weight, and a coworker even commented today that I looked like I did. I'm not really trying to--just eating a little less and trying to stay active (but without the gym--the environment just seems so stale to me). And the dress was much shorter than what I'm used to (about 6" above the top of my knee), but I don't think I looked that bad. I probably could've gotten away with it. However, I didn't end up getting the dress. It was black and gorgeous, but I still feel too self-conscious to pull it off, and I don't want to get sucked back into the cycle of buying clothes I'll never wear. I still have a fabulous Oscar de la Renta black lace number that is desperately waiting its debut!

I did, however, get nude (tee-hee) again--shoes, that is! A girl can never have too many. These are by Chloe, and they're so comfy (and I got a great deal on them, too). They're perfect for a little summery dress in a setting. They go with everything and will allow me to spare my precious Loubies, too, particularly in settings where walking on grass in inevitable. I'm sure they haven't even been worn. They have minimal scratching on the soles, similar to what you'd find with shoes you get on sale (after being tried on over and over). This is the first time I've bought shoes from a consignment store. I've never even bought shoes off ebay. I think I might do consignment stores again, but not ebay. I would want to see the shoe before I buy it. Come to think of it, that's how I am with shoes from any store. Getting to inspect the shoe before I buy it gives me peace of mind. It also allows me to engage in the pleasure of shopping, which includes building relationships with sales associates and taking home my purchase in a cute shopping bag, too. The shoes are a half-size bigger than I'd normally buy, but they still work. The ankle straps are a little long (as you'll see from my modeling pic), but I'm sure a short trip to Eddie's will result in some holes in the straps and fix the problem.

No comments: