Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"On the Verge of Turning the Big 3-0..."

So...here it is...almost time to say good-bye to my 20s. It's bittersweet. On the one hand, I'm kind of sad. When Harper's Bazaar does their monthly "Trends at Every Age" (or whatever it's called) section, I no longer have Lindsay Lohan or Mischa Barton to emulate. Starting on the 31st of this month (yes, my birthday's on Halloween!), Harper's Bazaar says I should start thinking of Cameron Diaz and Cate Blanchett as my fashion idols. I can certainly see Cameron as someone I'd like to emulate 'cuz she does California casual so well (which is a very youthful style), but Cate Blanchett?! She's a great actress, but OMG...she seems far beyond 30s to me ! And now that I'm reaching the same decade as she, I'm supposed to start looking like her?! And for those of you who, like me, can't believe she's in her 30s, I just looked on imdb.com (which is considered a pretty reliable source on celebrity facts), and it says her DOB is 5/14/69, so that makes her 39 years old...so, for a few months, both she and I will be "in our 30s" at the same time.

So...what's gonna be the good part about turning 30?! Being wiser, I'd assume. I vowed to give up a large portion of my consumerism. No, I'm not going to stop spending or even buying designer items. I'll definitely do that, but I'm going to really think about what I'm buying. Having to completely clean out my closet a few months ago (due to some plumbing problem, which resulted in the plumbers having to break my closet wall open), I realized just how much crap I have. Stuff I've worn once, and some stuff I've never even worn! So I got rid of a lot of it, and now I just have some classic pieces that I plan to keep for a very long time, maybe well into my 90s or even to pass onto my daughters (if I have any...but I'd be very happy with a son as well...I just wanna be a mom so bad!...but that's another entry for another time). This includes some pretty cocktail dresses, a few pairs of Louboutins and Manolos, as well as a couple of Birkin bags. And in my 30s, I plan to make bigger, better investments...like buy a new car and my own house (I'd be so proud of myself if these actually happened!). But I'll start with investing in a classic piece that is sure to be a wise one...to be revealed on my actual birthday...

No comments: