Friday, October 31, 2008

It's HEEEEEEERE!!!

As of 9:46 am today, I am in my 30s.

As I actually spent the whole workday without seeing even one patient, I had a lot of time to sit at my desk, write, and THINK. Here's what the minutes before the big moment looked like:

9:42 am: 4 more minutes left of my 20s!
9:44 am: 2 more minutes!!
9:45 am: Getting out my cell phone to call my dad to share the big moment
9:46 am: The one patient I was scheduled to see barges into my office to announce that he can no longer keep his appointment. We talk for 1 minute, and I'm temporarily distracted.

After the big moment:
9:47 am: Called my dad at home. No answer. Called my older sister, S. No answer. Visited some coworkers to give them the big news...I have entered my 30s. "Happy Birthday" was sung by one. Another tells me it's all downhill from here.
10:03 am: Called my very good friend, M. No answer, so I left her a voicemail message. Texted another friend, T.
10:06 am: T. texts back. Then he calls. We talk.
12:00 pm: Go to lunch for chili dogs and fries with 3 coworkers. Thanks for lunch, J!

Sometime after this, as I'm sitting at my desk, a coworker brings his 2 adorable little daughters to visit me. I am mentally reminded that I am still childless, and as I watch the 1-year-old waddle, I am reminded of how much I want one of my own.

Went home, picked up a cool free gift at a store on the way.

Passed out candy to trick-or-treaters. Ate delivered Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza (bad, bad!). Still have a whole bag and a half full of chocolate candies left. Please, kids, come to the door! Do not allow me to be tempted! Not after I've done so well with shedding 20 lb in the last year (which was extremely hard for me to do)!

After that, not much else happened.

Oh, yeah. Since today was Halloween, I did wear a costume. OK, not a "real" one, but I threw stuff of my own together, and I did buy a few things, but it's all stuff I'm gonna use after today. I was Little Red Riding Hood. I wore my red Rachel Pally dress, a pair of red Christian Louboutin slingback pumps, a red wool hooded sweater from Target, and brought a picnic basket that I picked up at Big Lots. I didn't think anyone would "get it", but pretty much everyone did. Already making a mental note of what to do next year...

OK, not exactly the most exciting 30th birthday celebration on the planet, but I'm grateful for what did happen, and I look forward to this next decade of my life, which I know will bring me great happiness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh damn, now I've missed it. Damn!

Anyway: Happy (belated) birthday!!!

Drama Queen said...

Thanks, P!